Sicilian Split Pea Soup Recipe
Warm up with this delicious Sicilian Split Pea Soup Recipe. Made with simple ingredients and a touch of Italian flavors, this soup is hearty, healthy, and perfect for a cozy night in. Nothing beats a warm bowl of soup on a chilly evening, and this Sicilian Split Pea Soup hits the spot.
The recipe starts with dried split peas, which are rich in fiber and protein. They are simmered in a flavorful broth along with aromatic vegetables like onions, carrots, and celery. The combination of these ingredients creates a thick and creamy soup base that is both satisfying and nutritious.
To enhance the flavor, we add a variety of herbs and spices like oregano, thyme, bay leaves, and garlic. These ingredients bring out the essence of Sicilian cuisine, giving the soup a delightful Mediterranean twist. The addition of a smoked ham hock or bacon adds a subtle smoky flavor that complements the earthiness of the split peas.
This Sicilian Split Pea Soup is not only delicious, but it is also easy to make. It requires minimal prep work and simmers on the stove for about an hour, allowing all the flavors to meld together. As it cooks, your kitchen will be filled with the enticing aroma of savory goodness.
- 1 pound dried split peas
- 1 smoked ham hock or 4 slices of bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, carrots, celery, and minced garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the dried split peas, smoked ham hock or bacon slices, dried oregano, dried thyme, bay leaves, and vegetable or chicken broth to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the split peas are tender and the soup has thickened.
- Remove the ham hock or bacon from the soup and discard. Use a blender or immersion blender to blend about half of the soup until smooth and creamy. This step is optional. If you prefer a chunkier texture, you can skip this step.
- Return the soup to the pot and adjust the seasoning if needed. If the soup is too thick, you can add more broth or water to reach your desired consistency.
- Serve the Sicilian Split Pea Soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy with a slice of crusty bread for a complete meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Warm up with this flavorful and hearty Sicilian Split Pea Soup. Made with simple ingredients and a touch of Italian flavors, this soup is perfect for a cozy night in.
Nutrition information: Calories per serving: XYZ, Fat: XYZg, Carbohydrates: XYZg, Protein: XYZg
This Sicilian Split Pea Soup is the ultimate comfort food. It warms you up from the inside out and satisfies your hunger with each spoonful. The creamy texture and robust flavors make it a crowd-pleaser, whether you’re serving it to your family or hosting a dinner party.
One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility. You can easily customize it to suit your taste preferences. If you’re vegetarian, simply omit the smoked ham hock or replace it with a vegetarian alternative. You can also add additional vegetables like potatoes or spinach for an extra nutritional boost.
When serving the Sicilian Split Pea Soup, consider garnishing it with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh parsley. These little touches not only enhance the presentation but also add a pop of flavor to each bite. Pair the soup with a crusty slice of bread for a complete and satisfying meal.
So, the next time you’re craving a comforting bowl of soup, give this Sicilian Split Pea Soup Recipe a try. With its rich flavor, creamy texture, and nutritious ingredients, it’s sure to become a favorite in your kitchen. Enjoy the delicious taste of Sicily right at home!