Hungarian Kifli Recipe Sour Cream
If you’re craving a taste of Hungary, look no further than this delicious Hungarian Kifli recipe made with sour cream. With its flaky and buttery layers, these crescent-shaped pastries are perfect for an appetizer or a delightful snack. Let’s dive into the process and create an authentic Hungarian flavor in your own kitchen!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Your favorite jam or preserves for filling
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut in the chilled butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the sour cream to the flour mixture and mix until a soft dough forms. Divide the dough into two equal parts and shape them into discs. Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove one disc of dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Cut the circle into 12 equal triangles.
- Place a small spoonful of your favorite jam or preserves at the wide end of each triangle. Starting from the wide end, roll up the triangle towards the pointed end. Repeat with the remaining triangles.
- Arrange the rolled pastries on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between them for expansion. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the Kifli cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat the rolling and filling process with the second disc of dough.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: Makes 24 Kifli
These Hungarian Kifli pastries are incredibly versatile. Whether you serve them as an appetizer with a savory filling like herbed cream cheese or as a sweet treat with various fruit preserves, they are guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds. The combination of sour cream and butter gives the pastries a rich and tender texture that melts in your mouth. Plus, their delightful crescent shape adds an elegant touch to any dining table.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 150, Fat: 10g, Sodium: 100mg, Carbohydrates: 13g, Protein: 2g
In conclusion, making Hungarian Kifli with sour cream is a delightful culinary adventure. From the flaky layers to the scrumptious fillings, these pastries offer a taste of Hungary in every bite. So gather your ingredients, follow the simple instructions, and create a batch of these mouthwatering treats that will undoubtedly impress your family and friends. Enjoy!