Gongura Chicken Recipe
Gongura Chicken is a delicious and flavorful dish popular in South Indian cuisine. Made with tender chicken pieces cooked in a tangy gongura leaf sauce, this recipe is a perfect blend of spices and sourness.
The unique taste of Gongura Chicken comes from the gongura leaves, also known as sorrel leaves, which are widely used in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. These leaves have a tangy flavor that adds a distinctive taste to the dish. Along with the gongura leaves, this recipe uses a variety of aromatic spices to enhance the flavors.
To prepare Gongura Chicken, start by marinating the chicken pieces with a mixture of yogurt, turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes to infuse the flavors. Meanwhile, prepare the gongura leaf sauce by sautéing onions, ginger, and garlic in oil until golden brown. Add chopped gongura leaves and cook until they wilt down.
Once the gongura leaves are cooked, blend them into a smooth paste using a blender or food processor. In a separate pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves. Once the seeds splutter, add the marinated chicken pieces and cook until they turn golden brown. Pour in the gongura leaf paste and mix well with the chicken. Add water and let the chicken simmer until it is cooked through and the sauce thickens.
The Gongura Chicken is now ready to be served. Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot with steamed rice, roti, or naan. The tangy and spicy flavors of this dish will surely tantalize your taste buds.
- 500 grams chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup gongura leaves, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Marinate the chicken pieces with yogurt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the chopped onions until golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped gongura leaves and cook until they wilt down.
- Blend the cooked gongura leaves into a smooth paste using a blender or food processor.
- In a separate pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves. Let them crackle.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Pour in the gongura leaf paste and mix well with the chicken.
- Add water and cover the pan. Let the chicken simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until it is cooked through and the sauce thickens.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice, roti, or naan.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 4
Gongura Chicken is a delicious South Indian dish made with tender chicken pieces cooked in a tangy gongura leaf sauce.
– Calories: 250 per serving
– Protein: 25g per serving
– Fat: 12g per serving
– Carbohydrates: 10g per serving
– Fiber: 3g per serving
Gongura Chicken is a must-try for all chicken lovers who enjoy bold and tangy flavors. The combination of spices and gongura leaves creates a unique taste that is hard to resist. Whether you’re preparing a special meal for your family or hosting a dinner party, this recipe is sure to impress everyone. Serve it with steamed rice, roti, or naan for a complete and satisfying meal.
So why wait? Gather all the ingredients, follow the simple steps, and indulge in the flavors of Gongura Chicken. Happy cooking!