Zippys Portuguese Bean Soup Recipe
Looking for a hearty and comforting soup recipe? Try this Zippys Portuguese Bean Soup, inspired by the famous Hawaiian restaurant chain. Made with tender beans, smoky sausage, and flavorful vegetables, this soup is a true crowd-pleaser.
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1 pound Portuguese sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large bowl, soak the dried kidney beans overnight in enough water to cover them completely. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the Portuguese sausage over medium heat until browned. Remove the sausage from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion, diced carrots, and diced celery. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Return the browned sausage to the pot and add the soaked kidney beans, chicken broth, tomato sauce, bay leaf, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beans are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Using an immersion blender, partially puree the soup to thicken it. Alternatively, you can remove about 1 cup of the soup, blend it until smooth, and then return it to the pot.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the Zippys Portuguese Bean Soup hot, garnished with chopped parsley.
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Nutrition information: Calories: 350 | Fat: 15g | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 20g
In conclusion, Zippys Portuguese Bean Soup is a delicious and satisfying dish that will warm you up from the inside out. With its rich flavors and heartiness, it’s no wonder this soup is a favorite at Zippy’s restaurants in Hawaii. Now you can enjoy it in the comfort of your own home, thanks to this easy-to-follow recipe. Whether you’re craving a taste of island cuisine or simply looking for a comforting meal, this Portuguese bean soup is sure to please. Serve it with some crusty bread or rice for a complete and satisfying meal. Try making it for your family and friends, and watch as they ask for seconds and thirds. Enjoy!