SylviaʼS Red Velvet Cake Recipe
A delicious and moist red velvet cake recipe that will surely impress your guests. This recipe combines the rich flavors of cocoa and buttermilk, resulting in a velvety smooth cake with a hint of tanginess. The cream cheese frosting adds the perfect balance of sweetness to complement the cake’s deep red color. Whether you’re preparing it for a special occasion or simply indulging your sweet tooth, Sylvia’s Red Velvet Cake is a crowd-pleaser.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, red food coloring, vanilla extract, and vinegar.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk mixture to the large bowl, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in the vegetable oil until the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1 cake
Sylvia’s Red Velvet Cake is a classic American dessert that never fails to delight. With its vibrant red color and tender crumb, it’s a showstopper at any gathering. This recipe provides step-by-step instructions to ensure that your cake turns out perfectly every time. Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, hosting a dinner party, or just looking to satisfy your sweet tooth, Sylvia’s Red Velvet Cake is sure to impress.
Sylvia’s Red Velvet Cake is a classic dessert that has stood the test of time. Its origins date back to the early 1900s when it was popularized in the South. The cake’s rich flavor and velvety texture quickly made it a favorite among bakers and consumers alike.
What sets Sylvia’s Red Velvet Cake apart is its secret ingredient: buttermilk. This tangy dairy product adds moisture and a slight tanginess to the cake, elevating it from a regular chocolate cake to a delectable red velvet creation. Combined with the cocoa powder, the buttermilk creates a unique flavor profile that is both familiar and indulgent.
The cream cheese frosting is the perfect companion to the red velvet cake. Its silky smooth texture and subtle sweetness balance out the cake’s richness, creating a harmonious blend of flavors. The frosting also adds a beautiful contrast of color, with its creamy white appearance contrasting against the deep red hue of the cake.
When making Sylvia’s Red Velvet Cake, it’s important to use high-quality ingredients to ensure the best results. From the buttermilk to the cocoa powder, each component contributes to the overall taste and texture of the cake. Take your time when measuring and mixing the ingredients, as precision is key in achieving the perfect consistency.
Once the cake is baked and cooled, you can let your creativity shine by adding decorative elements such as fresh berries or edible flowers. The final presentation is just as important as the taste, so take your time to create a visually stunning dessert that will impress your guests.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out, Sylvia’s Red Velvet Cake is a must-try recipe. Its delicious flavor and beautiful appearance make it a wonderful addition to any occasion. Give it a go and enjoy a slice of this timeless classic!