Loretta LynnʼS Chicken And Dumplings Recipe
Loretta Lynnʼs Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is a classic southern dish that is sure to please your taste buds. This recipe has been passed down through generations and is known for its rich flavors and comforting qualities. The tender chicken and fluffy dumplings create the perfect combination of textures that will leave you wanting more.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook chicken in a large pot of boiling water until fully cooked and tender. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Once cooled, remove skin and bones and shred the meat into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface and cut into dumpling-sized pieces.
- In the same pot used to cook the chicken, bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Drop the dumplings into the simmering broth and cook until they float to the top, about 10-15 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in 1/2 cup of flour until well combined. Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the chicken broth from the pot. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the pot with the remaining chicken broth. Stir in the thickened mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Loretta Lynnʼs Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is a classic southern dish that is sure to warm your heart and satisfy your soul. The combination of tender chicken, fluffy dumplings, and savory broth creates a meal that is both comforting and delicious. Whether enjoyed on a cold winter day or as a special family dinner, this recipe is bound to become a favorite in your household.
Nutrition information: Calories: 350, Fat: 12g, Carbohydrates: 35g, Protein: 25g
Loretta Lynnʼs Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is a true testament to the flavors of the South. This recipe has been cherished by families for generations, and now you can recreate it in your own kitchen. The process of cooking the chicken to tender perfection, making the fluffy dumplings from scratch, and combining them with a rich and flavorful broth is a labor of love that will be well worth the effort.
The secret to this recipe’s success lies in the homemade dumplings. By using a combination of flour, baking powder, and shortening, you can create a dough that produces light and fluffy dumplings. Rolling out the dough and cutting it into dumpling-sized pieces ensures that each bite is perfectly portioned and cooked to perfection.
The broth is another essential component of this dish. By simmering the chicken in a flavorful broth, you infuse the meat with savory flavors and ensure that it remains moist and tender. The addition of a roux, made from butter and flour, helps to thicken the broth and create a rich and velvety texture.
As you cook the chicken and dumplings together, the flavors meld, creating a dish that is both comforting and satisfying. The aroma that fills your kitchen as this dish simmers on the stove will bring back memories of home-cooked meals and family gatherings.
Serve Loretta Lynnʼs Chicken and Dumplings Recipe with a side of fresh vegetables or a simple green salad to balance out the richness of the dish. This recipe yields six servings, making it perfect for a family meal or for leftovers to enjoy throughout the week.
Experience the true taste of the South with Loretta Lynnʼs Chicken and Dumplings Recipe. From the first bite to the last, this dish will transport you to a place of warmth, comfort, and deliciousness. So gather your ingredients, put on some classic country music, and get ready to enjoy a true southern delicacy.