Emily Dickinsonʼs Black Cake Recipe
Indulge in the rich flavor of Emily Dickinsonʼs Black Cake. This traditional American dessert is sure to delight your taste buds with its moist, dense texture and blend of aromatic spices. The recipe has been passed down through generations, with Emily Dickinson herself enjoying it as a beloved treat.
To create this delectable cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup black treacle
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup cold coffee
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Now that you have gathered all the necessary ingredients, let’s begin the baking process:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and salt. Gradually add this mixture to the butter-sugar mixture, alternating with the black treacle, dark molasses, and cold coffee.
- Stir in the raisins, currants, and chopped walnuts until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for approximately 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Your Emily Dickinsonʼs Black Cake is now ready to be enjoyed. Serve it as a decadent dessert, either on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. The flavors will transport you to a time when homemade cakes were the epitome of comfort and indulgence.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Yield: 12 servings
Emily Dickinsonʼs Black Cake is a traditional American dessert with a rich, moist texture and a blend of aromatic spices. This recipe pays homage to the famous poet and her love for baking. Enjoy the indulgence of a bygone era with each heavenly bite.
Indulge in the history and flavors of Emily Dickinsonʼs Black Cake. As you savor each bite of this traditional American dessert, imagine yourself stepping into the world of the famous poet. The richness of the black treacle and dark molasses, combined with the warmth of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves, will transport you to a time when baking was an art form and cakes were an expression of love and creativity.