Buzzard BillyʼS Swamp Soup Recipe
Try this delicious and flavorful Buzzard BillyʼS Swamp Soup Recipe that will transport you straight into the heart of the American South. This hearty soup combines the rich and savory flavors of Cajun cuisine with the comforting warmth of a homemade soup. Don’t be intimidated by the name or the swampy connotations, because this soup is a true culinary delight that will have your taste buds singing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 pound chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, diced
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup okra, sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, celery, and green bell pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sliced andouille sausage. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the sausage is browned and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the diced chicken thighs, cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, dried thyme, dried oregano, and cayenne pepper. Stir well to coat the chicken and sausage with the spices. Cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken is browned.
- Pour in the chicken broth and diced tomatoes with their juices. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the sliced okra and corn kernels to the pot. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition Information: Calories: 350, Fat: 20g, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 28g
Create a story conclusion of at least 300 words about the recipe Buzzard BillyʼS Swamp Soup Recipe. Talk about your personal experiences with the recipe, any adjustments or variations you’ve made, and why you love this dish. Share tips and tricks for serving and storing the soup. Encourage readers to try the recipe and enjoy the delicious flavors of the American South.